So I've never really been a lover of peas, but my dear husband is a fanatic of the pink eyed purple-hulled peas. He planted a HUGE patch of them at my parent's house and they are finally ready to pick. He has spent all day preparing and picking these strange little peas. He even has a contraption that shells the peas automatically! High tech even though the machine is over 30 years old! As I watched him put the peas through the machine tonight, he began to share his sweet memories from childhood about picking and shelling these infamous peas with his entire family (mom, dad, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents). As a child it was a chore to help, but now it has taken on a different meaning for him. Planting the seed, watering the sprouts, watching the peas grow and bloom are all the ways our Father in heaven grow us into maturity. I am thankful I serve a God who is committed to my growth and that He reminds me of this even in the simple things of life...a pink eyed purple-hulled pea!
3 comments:
Gayle, I remember those days also. I hated picking them, thought it was unfair since I didn't eat them. I always wanted to be the one that put the peas through the "contraption" as you called it. I didn't like those days at all, but now that I look back I miss them a little. The whole family being together. It's ironic that I love them now and don't have any to shell. I would have loved to been there with ya'll.
Angie
how great to eat something that you grew! im doing good to keep my houseplants alive, but have taken to growing a few roses and feel the same way about them. cant you see our Father lovingly pruning, watering, enjoying us? thanks for sharing!
jen
I LOVE the whole idea of having a garden but being someone with a strong dislike for hot weather I will just have to live vicariously through you!! I'm with Bo...there's nothing better than yummy peas with cornbread, of course. :)
BTW...Thank you so much for the package! I love the beauty bar! it's beautiful!
Post a Comment